Noi Bai International Airport
Phu Minh commune, Soc Son district, Hanoi, Vietnam. The airport is located 45 kilometers from the city centerTelephone
+84-4 3886 5047 / +84-4 3886 5027Email Fax
+84-4 3886 5540More information
Noi Bai International Airport (IATA: HAN, ICAO: VVNB), the biggest airport in northern Vietnam, serves the capital city of Hanoi. The airport is located 45 kilometers from the city center, in the middle of a rice paddy field suburban area that once belonged to Vinh Phuc province.
New International Terminal 2 opened at the end of 2014. The new terminal offers 96 check-in counters, ten self-service kiosks, 17 boarding gates and 283 flight information display systems. Domestic flights now operate from Terminal 1.
A number of Vietnamese and international airlines operate from Hanoi Noi Bai Airport, including Vietnam Airlines, Pacific Airlines, AirAsia, Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong Airlines, Thai Airways, Lao Airlines and Tiger Airways.
The airport terminal provides various services, shopping, dining, currency exchange, ATMs and transportation options.
Noi Bai is located 45km north of Hanoi City Center. Travel time between Hanoi Old Quarter and Noi Bai Airport is about 1 hour or 45 minutes without traffic. For driving, you can reach the airport via Nhat Tan bridge or Thang Long bridge.
Arrival and Departure Hall
Terminal 1 (the old airport): the old airport is now used for domestic flight only. It is connected with E Hall which is a freshly built terminal at the airport.
E Hall (for all domestic flight)
The first floor of the hall is arrival lobby. You can find currency exchange booths, airport taxi services and information booths on this floor.
The second floor has departure gates and check-in areas for domestic flights. Boarding gates from 2-5 are on the far left of the airport and boarding gates from 6-10 is on the far right. In the middle and near the elevator is the border police control door. The customs declaration form has been abandoned for all outbound travelers as of September 2010.
The airport top floor has several restaurants and bars that serve breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. The food is decent and inexpensive but does not expect an international selection.
Terminal 2 (new airport - international flight)
The T2 Hall was brought into use in early 2015 and serves all international routes. There is a total of 4 levels: the first level being arrival hall, the third level being departure hall and the second and fourth level hosting a number of food vendors. As you step down from an international flight, you will be passing through immigration office first - this is where you pick up your visa on arrival. If you already have a visa you can go straight to Customs, have your passport scanned and go to collect your baggage.
ATMs: There are a number of ATMs and currency exchange booth located on the first level of terminal 2. You can spot them easily near the entrance of the airport
From Noi Bai Airport to city center
Taxis are well regulated as you step out of the airport. The fixed rate from the airport to city center is VND 345,000 (about US$16) and you can request for a drop-off at your hotel. The reverse route is 220,000 ($10).
Vietnam Airlines has a minibus crew waiting to the far left as you leave the airport. This convenient service will drop you off at the company’s office at 2 Quang Trung street, about 1km away from Hanoi Old Quarter. Ticket price is $2 one way.
The cheapest, but not the best option, is a local bus. Bus #7 runs every half hour from the airport and stop at Daewoo Hotel and from there you can catch #9 which run straight downtown to Sword Lake (Hoan Liem Lake). The total ticket price is 40 cents.
Hanoi airport (Noi Bai) reviews
Hanoi Airport (official name Noi Bai International Airport, IAIA code HAN) receives both compliments and criticism for the services it offers - it appears to be convenient and easy to navigate for many but the lack of good restaurants and shopping opportunities on the other. Here is a summary of both objective observations and travelers' opinions about Noi Bai airport:
- Noi Bai Airport is rather small and thus, extremely easy to navigate. As you walk pass the customs area, you will not have any troubles finding the exit gate. A similar thing can be said for check-in and transfer: thanks to the airport's small size, passengers can easily walk from gate to gate and domestic terminal to international terminal within minutes. Take into account the fact that some major airports such as Toronto Pearson or Hong Kong international airport even have electric cars to send passengers to the right boarding gate on time!
- It is extremely fast to collect the luggage since most flights to Hanoi have the small capacity. If you travel from another country to Vietnam, you usually collect luggage with 3A or 3B baggage claim area (on the right and left of the customs area).
- Customs are fast: you will not face much screening or fingerprinting like airports elsewhere in the world. Most customs officers are very friendly and welcoming. Make sure you keep your boarding pass (or part of it) for checking.
- Trolleys are free: those from North America and some countries in the Europe are aware that their international airports often involve $2 or $3 in coin or credit card for trolley fee. In Vietnam, trolleys are free to take though it comes in rather a small size.
- Lack of food choice: the restaurants are located in the arrival hall (first floor) and the fourth floor of the building. Food is overpriced, like a most airport, but worse, there are not much to choose from. Do not expect the basic fast food chains like KFC and Starbucks. Instead, there are two cafes called Lucky and two smaller restaurants sitting in between. A bowl of Pho costs about 60,000 VND ($3), with quite a high quality. Coffees are also authentic - about $2 for a cappuccino.
- Poor shopping experience: if you are familiar with the heaven of duty-free found elsewhere in the world, Hanoi airport is definitely not the case. After checking in to the waiting lounge, the shops are often poorly equipped. You maybe able to find some basic brands for wine and cigarettes, dotted with clothing & apparels shop but do not wait to shop at the airport, really.
- Lack of tourist information: the arrival hall has some visitor information stations but there are not free maps to take, neither is there a large variety of pamphlets and brochures about the city.
Taxi from Hanoi Airport (Noi Bai) to city center
Noi Bai airport is well served by a fleet of a taxi that belong to the three companies: Viet Thanh taxi, Noi Bai Airport taxi and Dai Nam taxi. As you walk out of the airport, you will be greeted by the taxi company personnel who will ask where you will be going and assign one for your chosen trip. Both taxi companies offer similar qualities and similar price. The price is fixed for all destinations within Hanoi.
From Noi Bai Airport to Hanoi downtown area
- Viet Thanh Taxi - 4 seat car: $15 or VND315,000
- Viet Thanh Taxi - 7 seat car: $17 or VND 345,000
- Noi Bai Airport Taxi - 4 seat car: $15 or VND315,000
- Noi Bai Airport Taxi - 7 seat car: $17 or VND 345,000
- Dai Nam Airport Taxi - 4 seat car: $15 or VND315,000
- Dai Nam Airport Taxi - 7 seat car: $17 or VND 345,000
* Prices listed are as of November 2013, for a whole car, one way and including all tolls and surcharges. Tipping is not required in Vietnam though you may do so if you feel the driver deserves it.
From Hanoi downtown area to Noi Bai Airport
Interestingly, it is much cheaper to get from downtown are to Noi Bai Airport - sometimes it is up to 40% lower than the fare you pay when you are at the airport. Dai Nam and Viet Thanh taxi offer the same price while Noi Bai Airport taxi is slightly higher.
- Viet Thanh Taxi - 4 seat car $9 or VND180,000
- Viet Thanh Taxi - 7 seat car $10 or VND 200,000
- Noi Bai Airport Taxi - 4 seat car: $12 or VND250,000
- Noi Bai Airport Taxi - 7 seat car: $13 or VND 270,000
- Dai Nam Airport Taxi - 4 seat car: $9 or VND180,000
- Dai Nam Airport Taxi - 7 seat car: $10 or VND 200,000
Viet Thanh Taxi: white color, blue letter says Airport Taxi
Contact number: 043-563-6666
Noi Bai Taxi: white color with yellow line, blue letter reads Noi Bai taxi
Contact number: 043-884-6666
Dai Nam Taxi: white color, blue letter reads contact number
Contact number: 043-886-8888
Hanoi Airport shuttle bus schedule and timetable
Noi Bai International Airport is an international airport serving the capital city of Hanoi and surrounding areas, alternative for former Gia Lam airport. Noi Bai International Airport located in Soc Son district, 30 km from the center of Hanoi capital by land to the northwest, this distance was shortened remaining 15 kilometers when the Nhat Tan Bridge and the linking road the bridge with Noi Bai completed in 2014.
Route 07: Cau Giay Bus Parking - Noi Bai International Airport
Frequency: 5-10-15-20 minutes / trip
Operating Time: 5:00am - 9:00pm
Departure: Cau Giay Bus Parking - Cau Giay transshipment point - Cau Giay - Tran Dang Ninh - Nguyen Khanh Toan - Hoang Quoc Viet - Pham Van Dong - Thang Long Bridge - The North Thang Long Highway - Noi Bai Airport.
Return: Noi Bai Airport - The North Thang Long Highway - Pham Van Dong - Hoang Quoc Viet - Nguyen Van Huyen - Nguyen Khanh Toan - Tran Dang Ninh - Cau Giay - Cau Giay transshipment point - Cau Giay Bus Parking.
Route 17: Long Bien - Noi Bai Airport
Frequency: 10-15 minutes / trip
Operating Time: 5:00am - 20:30pm
Departure: Long Bien - Yen Phu - Long Bien transshipment point - Tran Nhat Duat - Chuong Duong Bridge - Nguyen Van Cu - Ngo Gia Tu - Cau Duong - Highway 3 - Co Loa Road - Cao Lo - Dong Anh - Nguyen Khe - Phu Lo - Highway 2 - Inner Road of The Airport - Noi Bai Airport (Bus Parking 3).
Return: Noi Bai Airport (Bus Parking 3) - Inner Road of The Airport - Highway 2 - Phu Lo - Nguyen Khe - Dong Anh - Co Loa - Doc Van - Highway 3 - Cao Lo - Co Loa Road - Cau Duong - Ngo Gia Tu - Nguyen Van Cu - Chuong Duong Bridge - Tran Nhat Duat - Long Bien transshipment point - Yen Phu - Long Bien.
Route NB01 (05 cars) Noi Bai Airport - Dao Tan
Trip time: 75 minutes.
Roadmap: Noi Bai Airport (T2 Terminal) - T1 Terminal - Vo Van Kiet- Vo Nguyen Giap - Nhat Tan Bridge - The South Nhat Tan - Xuan La - Lac Long Quan - Buoi - Dao Tan (next to the Daewoo hotel);
Route NB02 (06 cars): Noi Bai Airport (T2 Terminal) - Times City Metropolis
Trip time: 90 minutes.
Roadmap: Noi Bai Airport (T2 Terminal) - T1 Terminal - Vo Van Kiet - Vo Nguyen Giap - Highway 5 - Dong Tru Bridge - Nguyen Van Cu - Chuong Duong Bridge - Tran Quang Khai - Tran Khanh Du - Nguyen Khoai - Ming Khai - Times City Metropolis.
Route NB03 (07 cars): Noi Bai Airport - Nuoc Ngam Bus Station
Trip time: 105 minutes.
Roadmap: Noi Bai Airport (T2 Terminal) - T1 Terminal - 6km road (Hai Boi) - Vo Nguyen Giap - Thang Long Bridge - Pham Van Dong - Pham Hung - Khuat Duy Tien - Nguyen Xien - Nghiem Xuan Yem - Nguyen Huu Tho (Linh Dam) - Giai Phong - Nuoc Ngam Bus Station.
Route 86: Hanoi Railway Station - Noi Bai International Airport
Number of trips: 80-94 trips / day
Frequency: 25-30 minutes / trip
Trip time: 50-60 minutes
Time of departure and return (daily):
+ At Hanoi Railway Station: 5:10am - 10:30pm
+ At Noi Bai Airport: 6:30am - 11:30pm
Departure: Hanoi Railway Station - Le Duan - Nguyen Du - Yet Kieu - Tran Hung Dao - Da Tuong - Ly Thuong Kiet - Hang Bai - Bo Ho (Hoan Kiem Lake) - Tran Nguyen Han - Hang Voi - Hang Tre - Hang Muoi - Tran Nhat Duat - Long Bien transshipment point - Yen Phu (Road for buses) - Nghi Tam - Au Co - Nhat Tan Bridge - Vo Nguyen Giap - T1 Domestic Terminal (Halls A, B, E - 2th floor, the departure station) - Vo Nguyen Giap - T2 International Terminal (Hall A1, A2 - 2th floor, the departure station) - Vo Nguyen Giap street Overpass - Vo Nguyen Giap - Turning - Gateway to T1 terminal bus parking - Noi Bai Airport (release passengers and parking at T1 Terminal bus parking in Noi Bai Airport).
Return: Noi Bai Airport (T1 Terminal bus parking in Noi Bai Airport) - T1 Domestic Terminal (Halls A, B, E - 1st floor, the arrival station) - Vo Nguyen Giap - T1 Inner Road - T2 - T2 Internal Terminal (1st floor hall of the arrival station to the doors D1 - D2) - Vo Nguyen Giap street Overpass - Vo Nguyen Giap - Nhat Tan Bridge - Au Co - Nghi Tam - Yen Phu (road for buses) - Long Bien transshipment point - Tran Nhat Duat - Tran Quang Khai - Trang Tien - Le Thanh Tong - Hai Ba Trung - Ngo Quyen - Ly Thuong Kiet - Le Duan - Hanoi Railway Station.