Hang En Cave Adventure
2 days/1 nightReturn to
5:00 pm - 5:30 pm at any local hotel in Phong NhaTime of departure
8:00 am - 8:30 am from any local hotel in Phong NhaGroup size
2 pax - 16pax. Minimum Age: 16 yearsTelephone
Tel: +84.52.3677678. Sales hotline: +84 (0) 919 900 163 (Ms.Yen); +84 (0) 919 900 423 (Jamie); Operation hotline: +84 919 900 357 (Ms.Hai)Fax
Tour description provided by Oxalis
Come and explore Hang En Cave located within the Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park, and spend one night in its massive chamber below thousands of darting swifts. We offer 3-4 departures per week but places fill up quickly so please book in advance!
Hang En Cave is probably the world’s 3rd largest cave and is quickly becoming one of the must-see natural wonders in Vietnam.
Its size will blow you away, and our campsite located within the cave beside a lazy river, will leave you speechless. You’ll examine fascinating fossils in one part of the cave over 300 million year old, and around every corner be subject to the most picturesque views.
A stop in the ethnic minority Ban Doong Village, set amongst the limestone mountains is a highlight for many, not to mention the pristine jungle, many river crossings, and jovial porter team, made up of local jungle men!
We provide the very best adventure experiences with every aspect of the trip carefully planned including delicious meals, the highest safety standards, and friendly and informative adventure guides.
Come and experience what has been dubbed by one Lonely Planet author as the biggest WOW factor in Vietnam.
- Duration: 2 days/1 night
- Adventure Level: Moderate (22 km) for physically active guests
- Availability: Regular Departures (check availability), we close the cave from Sept to Dec.
- Small Group Tours: 2 pax - 16pax
- Minimum Age: 16 years
- Tour Starts: 8:00 am - 8:30 am from any local hotel in Phong Nha.
- Tour Ends: 5:00 pm - 5:30 pm at any local hotel in Phong Nha.
- Price: 6,000,000 VND or US$282/pax
Day 1: Phong Nha - Ban Doong Village - Hang En
Start your ultimate adventure with a pickup from your hotel in Phong Nha between 8:00 am and 8:30 am and short transfer to Oxalis Headquarters.
Learn all about safety and collect your gear before driving 45mins through the National Park to reach the trailhead.
A steep jungle hill starts the adventure, with a refreshing river at the bottom. Hike through rich jungle to reach the Ban Doong minority village, where a hot cup of tea welcomes you.
Lunch takes place shortly after near the river, and then it’s back into the jungle, through river streams, and across the river valley until Hang En lays on the horizon.
Enter the cave around 3 PM, and enjoy your afternoon swimming, before a sizzling BBQ dinner is served, complete with rice wine and beautiful flocks of swifts overhead.
Day 2: Hang En - Ban Doong Village - Phong Nha
Awake for breakfast early and explore the breathtaking exit, and then trek through the dry passage to the viewpoint high above camp, where 300 million year old fossils can be witnessed.
In the late morning, trek back through the mountainous river valley, through jungle and across streams, until reaching Doong village again.
Enjoy a picnic lunch by the stream and then prepare for the biggest challenge ahead, climbing the treacherous hill up to the Ho Chi Minh Road.
Watch out for leeches and push ahead to the road, where cold drinks are waiting. Return by vehicle to Phong Nha by 5:00 pm.
Hang En Cave Ultimate Adventure is easy-to-moderate for anyone who considers themselves physically fit and who participates in regular outdoor activities, and moderate-to-hard for anyone with limited trekking experience.
Be prepared to spend a majority of the day trekking (10 km each day), and you must be able to hike comfortably at an incline for an hour and a half (gaining over 500 m in elevation).
Swimming skills are not necessary for this tour. Never forget you are deep in the Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park and the difficulty of this tour is also very dependent on the weather.
It can get very cold during December to March (8 – 15 degrees Celsius) and very hot during June to August (32 – 38 degrees Celsius), not to mention anytime it rains the jungle becomes very slippery and muddy!
Safety is absolutely paramount on all trips operated by Oxalis Adventure Tours, and along with having the best caving equipment, you’ll be led by one of our expert adventure guides.
No children below 16 years of age permitted.
British Cave Research Association
All our tours are designed by cave experts who are members of the British Cave Research Association, and who have spent over 20 years discovering the caves around Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park and Tu Lan Cave System.
All our guides are trained in both cave conservation and cave rescue by our cave expert team.
We will provide
- Camping gear: tent, camp light, sleeping bag
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves
- Dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics)
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 38 – 46
- Meals: picnic lunches, breakfast (day 2), dinner (day 1)
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Katadyn (Swiss-made) water purifier (used only by guide and porters) and water bottle.
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek.
You will need
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear at campsite
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1 medium size towel
- 1 -2 pairs of calf length close weave socks (not ankle socks!)
- Small backpack for your water bottle and personal belongings
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
Pricing and availability
Our Hang En Cave Adventure is available with weekly departures on a join-in basis (minimum 2pax). It is advised to book in advance as this is a very popular tour and we are strictly limited to 16 guests per departure (split into two groups).