Tu Lan Encounter
2 days/1 nightReturn to
5:00 pm - 5:30 pm at any local hotel in Phong NhaTime of departure
8:00 am - 8:30 am from any local hotel in Phong NhaGroup size
2 pax - 8pax. Minimum Age: 16 yearsTelephone
Tel: +84.52.3677678. Sales hotline: +84 (0) 919 900 163 (Ms.Yen); +84 (0) 919 900 423 (Jamie); Operation hotline: +84 919 900 357 (Ms.Hai)Fax
Tour description provided by Oxalis
This tour offers a glimpse into the amazing beauty of the Tu Lan area: caves, karst mountains, jungle, and waterfalls.
It is an opportunity to escape civilization and go deep into the rugged and untouched nature of Vietnam for two-days and one-night with a professional English-speaking guide and jungle porter team.
This tour is perfect if you are short on time but still want a solid taste of adventure in the amazing Tu Lan jungle and cave system.
You will enjoy exploring Hang Ken Cave, Hang Kim Cave, Hung Ton Cave and of course Tu Lan Cave. You’ll also be subject to decent amount of trekking with over 12 km of tough jungle terrain covered over the two days and plenty of swimming!
Once the days adventures are over get ready for a night in the jungle at our amazing Tu Lan campsite located by a beautiful waterfall.
You’ll enjoy a delicious BBQ beside the campfire before turning in to the sounds of jungle critters and rushing waters of the nearby waterfall.
With climbing, trekking, and swimming through river caves, this will surely be a highlight of your travels in Vietnam.
- Duration: 2 days/1 night
- Adventure Level: Easy (12 km) for physically active guests (swimming is necessary)
- Availability: Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays
- Small Group Tours: 2 pax - 8pax
- Minimum Age: 16 years
- Tour Starts: 8:00 am - 8:30 am from any local hotel in Phong Nha.
- Tour Ends: 5:00 pm - 5:30 pm at any local hotel in Phong Nha.
- Price: 5,500,000 VND or US$260/pax
Day 1: Phong Nha - Tan Hoa - Tu Lan
You’ll be picked up at your hotel in PhongNha between 8:00 am and 8:30 am, before venturing off to the village of Tan Hoa, located 70 km away. After a safety briefing and gear check, it’s off and away for a full day of trekking!
The trek begins with a 2.5 km march across fields of peanut crops, giant water buffaloes, towering corn stalks, and down to the Rao Nan River.
The adventure accelerates with a 30 m climb up a rocky hill to a small jungle opening where you can catch your breath before a 100 m descent in elevation down to Hung Ton Valley.
Lunch will be enjoyed in the Hung Ton Cave opening and then the adventure picks up again with some serious trekking from Hung Ton Valley and over to Mango Mountain, then back down into Tu Lan Valley (3 km).
By mid afternoon, Tu Lan campsite will be on the horizon, where swimming can be enjoyed in the beautiful waterfall. Afternoon activities include exploring and swimming through Ken Cave, located next to the campsite, and after that it’s back to camp for a delicious BBQ dinner.
Sleep will come easy in comfortable hammocks set up amongst the trees!
Day 2: Tu Lan - Tan Hoa - Phong Nha
The second day starts with a hearty breakfast, and more cave exploration. Tu Lan Cave (both wet and dry sections) are first on the agenda, followed by lunch back at your campsite.
You’ll then be off on a swim (450 m) and trek (500 m) through Hang Kim to To Mo Valley, before continuing with a swim through Hung Ton Cave.
Following this is the exploration of a dry passage, and then a trek down into Hung Ton Valley (800 m).
After crossing this valley, it’s time to climb up over a small rocky mountain to get to Hang Chuot (Rat Cave).
After seeing Hang Chuot (300 m), the tour winds down by crossing the Rao Nan River and picturesque fields (2.5 km).
Arrival in Tan Hoa is followed by a chance to take in the scenery with a cold drink in hand.
Showers are available for those who would like to clean up and change, and then departure back to Phong Nha is at around 4 pm, with arrival in Phong Nha by 5:30 pm.
Tu Lan Cave Encounter is easy for anyone who considers themselves physically fit and participates in regular outdoor activities, and moderate for anyone with limited outdoor experience.
You will trek approximately 12 km via overgrown jungle paths and scramble over boulders within the caves. You should be able to swim as you’ll explore a number of wet caves of varying lengths (100 m to 400 m each).
You should also feel comfortable having to climb through some small passages, and also up/down a 15 m ladder (with safety rope).
Never forget you are deep in the jungle and the difficulty of this tour is also very dependent on the weather. It can get very cold during December to March (8 – 15 degrees Celsius) and very hot during June to August (32 – 38 degrees Celsius), not to mention anytime it rains the jungle becomes very slippery and muddy.
Safety is absolutely paramount on all trips operated by Oxalis Adventure Tours, and along with having the best caving equipment, you’ll be led by one of our expert adventure guides. No children under 16 years of age permitted on this tour.
British Cave Research Association
All our tours are designed by cave experts who are members of the British Cave Research Association, and who have spent over 20 years discovering the caves around Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park and Tu Lan Cave System.
All our guides are trained in both cave conservation and cave rescue by our cave expert team.
We will provide
- Camping gear: hammock/tent, camp light, sleeping bag
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, life jacket, gloves
- Light PVC backpack (if you do not want to take your own, as it will get wet)
- Dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics)
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 38 – 46
- Meals: picnic lunches, breakfast (day 2), dinner (day 1)
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Katadyn (Swiss-made) water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek.
You will need
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear at campsite plus your swim suit.
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1 medium size towel
- 2-3 pairs of calf length close weave socks (not ankle socks!)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
Pricing and availability
Our Tu Lan Cave Encounter is available with weekly departures on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays, on a join-in basis (minimum 2pax). It is advised to book in advance as this is a popular tour and we are strictly limited to 8 guests per departure.