Wild Tu Lan Cave Explorer
3 days/2 nightsReturn to
5:00 pm - 5:30 pm at any local hotel in Phong NhaTime of departure
8:00 am - 8:30 am from any local hotel in Phong NhaGroup size
2 pax - 8pax. Minimum Age: 16 yearsTelephone
Tel: +84.52.3677678. Sales hotline: +84 (0) 919 900 163 (Ms.Yen); +84 (0) 919 900 423 (Jamie); Operation hotline: +84 919 900 357 (Ms.Hai)Fax
Tour description provided by Oxalis
This adventure tour offers the perfect balance between trekking, caving, climbing, squeezing and swimming, combined with enough time to enjoy two spectacular campsites over three-days and two-nights!
It is a more in challenging experience compared to our Tu Lan Cave Encounter (2 days), as you’ll see more of the caves and go much further into the jungle!
One of the highlights on the Wild Tu Lan Cave Explorer is our second campsite at To Mo Waterfall, where you’ll spend the night camping inside a small cave wedged within the limestone mountain and overlooking the beautiful natural swimming lagoon. It is really something special and a highlight for many of our guests.
Get ready for the adventure of a lifetime and one of the most talked about adventure experiences in Vietnam!
- Duration: 3 days/2 nights
- Adventure Level: Moderate (18 km) for physically active guests (swimming is necessary)
- Availability: Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays
- Small Group Tours: 2 pax - 8pax
- Minimum Age: 16 years
- Tour Starts: 8:00 am - 8:30 am from any local hotel in Phong Nha
- Tour Ends: 5:00 pm - 5:30 pm at any local hotel in Phong Nha
- Price: 7,200,000 VND or US$338/pax
Day 1: Phong Nha - Tan Hoa - Tu Lan
You will be picked up in Phong Nha between 8:00 am and 8:30 am at your hotel and driven to the little village of Tan Hoa for your initial safety briefing.
You’ll then set off across sweeping fields for 2.5 km to the Rao Nan River, where climbing ensues (50 m), up a rocky slope to find the entrance of Secret Cave for your first cave discovery.
You’ll then trek through Hung Ton Valley and up Hung Ton Mountain. It’s 2 km more along the mountain ridge until Mango Mountain, where the reward is a picnic lunch and from there, the trek continues into and through Tu Lan Valley (2 km).
You’ll finish your afternoon on a more relaxed note with swimming around the waterfall, followed by a BBQ dinner, and singing around the campfire until sleep overcomes you.
Day 2: Tu Lan - Hang Kim - To Mo
The morning arrives with another full day of adventure. Shortly following breakfast comes a 200 m swim directly into Tu Lan Cave.
Trek 2 km back through the valley to loop back to camp for more waterfall swimming, a rest, and picnic lunch.
Post-lunch, it’s a 200 m swim into Ken Cave, followed by a 500 m trek to Hang Kim where swimming (450 m) and exploration (500 m) continues before adventuring 500 m on through To Mo Valley to the To Mo Cave campsite.
Enjoy another beautifully prepared dinner, and the unique experience of camping inside a cave set deep in the Vietnamese jungle.
Day 3: To Mo - Tan Hoa - Phong Nha
The last day continues to exude more adventure with breakfast and then a morning swim 200 m upstream past the waterfall and through Hung Ton Cave via what is usually the exit of the cave.
Investigation of the dry passage leads to a 15 m ladder climb up to the entrance of Hung Ton. After trekking across Hung Ton Valley and over the hill to La Ken Valley (2.5 km), enjoy lunch by the river prior to visiting Hung Chuot (300 m).
Early afternoon holds the return trip across Rao Nan River, the beautiful fields, and back to Tan Hoa (2.5 km), where a cold drink will be calling your name.
Showers are available for those who would like to clean up and change. The tour returns to Phong Nha by 5:30 pm.
Our Wild Tu Lan Cave Explorer is moderate for anyone who considers themselves physically fit and participates in regular outdoor activities, but difficult for anyone with limited outdoor experience.
You will trek approximately 18 km via overgrown jungle paths and scramble over many boulders within the caves. You should be able to swim as you’ll explore a number of wet caves of varying lengths (100 m to 400 m each).
You should also feel comfortable having to climb through some small passages, and also up/down a 15 m ladder (with safety rope).
Never forget you are deep in the jungle and the difficulty of this tour is also very dependent on the weather. It can get very cold during December to March (8 – 15 degrees Celsius) and very hot during June to August (32 – 38 degrees Celsius), not to mention anytime it rains the jungle becomes very slippery and muddy!
Safety is absolutely paramount on all trips operated by Oxalis Adventure Tours, and along with having best caving equipment, you’ll be led by one of our expert adventure guides. Not suitable for children under 16 years of age.
British Cave Research Association
All our tours are designed by cave experts who are members of the British Cave Research Association, and who have spent over 20 years discovering the caves around Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park and Tu Lan Cave System.
All our guides are trained in both cave conservation and cave rescue by our cave expert team.
We will provide
- Camping gear: hammock/tent, camp light, sleeping bag
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, life jacket, gloves
- Light PVC backpack (if you do not want to take your own, as it will get wet)
- Dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics)
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 38 – 46
- Meals: picnic lunches, breakfast (day 2 & 3), dinner (day 1 & 2)
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Katadyn (Swiss-made) water purifier (used only by guide and porters) and water bottle
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek.
You will need
- 2 long (easy to dry) pants and 2 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear at campsite and swim suit.
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1 medium size towel
- 2-3 pairs of calf length close weave socks (not ankle socks!)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
Pricing and availability
Our Wild Tu Lan Cave Explorer is available with weekly departures on Monday, Wednesday & Friday, on a join-in basis (minimum 2pax). It is advised to book in advance as this is a popular tour and we are strictly limited to 8 guests per departure.